Internship with the JPD
Our internship program is designed not only to help students with their degree requirements, but also to potentially recruit candidates for a career with the Jackson Police Department.
It is the mission of the Jackson Police Department (JPD) Internship program to offer college students, who are interested in a possible career in law enforcement, an enlightening rewarding, and educational experience.
The Student Intern Program is to provide a positive learning environment, in which interested college students can experience the various aspects and responsibilities of law enforcement, receiving college credits upon completion of the program (if applicable).
Our internship offers students an opportunity to observe and work in various units of the police department such as Records Division, Property and Evidence Unit, Crime Reduction Division, Criminal Investigations Division, Patrol Ride Alone Program, etc. Interns will at no time during the program have arrest authority or carry any type weapon. Students will learn about the department’s staffing, mission, activities, records, and services. Internships are composed of both observations and administrative work. Students are not required to major in Criminal Justice.
The intern selection process will be competitive due to the limited number of positions available. A qualifying student must be considered a full-time student at a nationally accredited college or university and the following:
- 18 years of age
- Must receive college credits for the internship (or at least approved by the administration of the college or university as part of a structured educational endeavor).
- Have not been convicted of, or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendre to, any felony charge or to any violations of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances.
- Honorable discharge from Military Service, if applicable (copy of DD 214 required)
- Authorization for release of Personal Information (notarized)
- Confidentiality Agreement
Download an internship brochure for more information.
For more information about the JPD internship program contact Major Thom Corley. email@example.com