Councilman Harvey Buchanan is a native of Jackson, Tennessee. Mr. Buchanan is married to Sharon Chatman Buchanan. He and his wife have two children, Veronica (Clifton) Love and Derrick Buchanan, two grandchildren, Christopher and Jeremiah Love.
- Religious Affiliation: Mr. Buchanan is a member of New Hope Baptist Church where he serves on the Deacon Board and is President of the Male Chorus.
- Education: Mr. Buchanan is a graduate of Jackson Central Merry High School; graduate of Jackson State Community College with an Associate of Science degree; and a graduate of Lane College with a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Occupation: Mr. Buchanan is currently employed with the State of Tennessee, Workforce Investment Area 11, as the Resource Center Manager. He formerly owned and operated Buchanan’s Exxon Service Station.
Mr. Buchanan was elected City Council Representative for District Four in May 1995.
CITY OF JACKSON BOARDS AND COMMITTEE INVOLVEMENT
- Served as Vice-Mayor for the City of Jackson from July 1997 to July 1998;
- Served as Vice-Mayor for the City of Jackson from July 2010 to July 2011;
- Past member of the new City Hall Building Committee and served on the City’s Public Buildings Committee as Ex-Officio;
- Currently serves as liaison to the Health, Education and Housing Facilities Board;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Southern Legends of Music Museum Board;
- Currently serves as liaison to the Jackson Transit Authority Board;
- Served as liaison to the Jackson-Madison County Library Board;
- Former member of the City of Jackson Taxi Board;
- Former Chairman and member of the City Council Expenditure Committee;
- Currently serves as a member of the City of Jackson Beer Board.
PRESENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND COMMUNITY AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
Member of the Board of Directors of the Salvation Army Advisory Board;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Mission Convalescent Home;
- Organize and maintain eleven active Neighborhood Watch Groups in District Four; and
- Instrumental in obtaining millions of dollars for better housing, street and drainage improvements along with other city services for District Four.
PAST COMMUNITY AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Former Vice President of the Jackson-Madison County Voters Council;
- Former Co-Chairman of the NAACP Annual Freedom Fund Banquet Committee and member of Lane College’s Alumni Banquet Committee;
- Former Program Director for the Boys and Girls Club of Jackson;
- Former Co-Chairman of the Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce Goals for Jackson;
- Former Pace Mentor for High School Students at Jackson State Community College;
- Former work site supervisor for special education students from Jackson Central Merry High School;
- Former volunteer coach for baseball, football and basketball for the City of Jackson Recreation and Parks Department; and
- Former Vice President of North Parkway Junior High Parent Teacher Association;
- Former Mentor for Cougar Keystone Club of Jackson
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Tennessee Municipal League.
COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARDS
- Lane College Scroll of Achievement Award;
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Hall of Fame Award;
- NAACP Service Award;
- Pentecostal Assembly Church of God in Christ Leadership Award;
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Service Award;
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Service Award;
- Lincoln Elementary School Service Award;
- Cerro Gordo Baptist Church Community Service Award;
- Mother Liberty C.M.E. Church Service Award
- Jackson Middle School Award of Excellence;
- East Lane Neighborhood Watch Group Service Award;
- Jackson-Madison County Schools’ Alumni “Wall of Success” Award – 2001;
- Lane College Political Affairs Award – 2001;
- Jackson Housing Authority Community Service Award – 2001;
- The Extra Mile Award from the Salvation Army - 2002;
- Lane Chapter #16 Mason Leadership Award – 2002;
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Community Service Award – 2004;
- Emancipation Award – 2005;
- Phi Beta Kappa Sorority Community Service Award – 2005;
- Pope Elementary School Vision Award – 2006;
- NAACP Unsung Hero Award – 2006;
- New Life Christian Center’s Community Service Award – January 2007;
- University of Tennessee at Martin Certificate of Achievement Award – March 2008;
- First Baptist Church Community Service Award – March 2008;
- Jackson Boys and Girls Club Alumni of the Month Award;
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Community Service Award – April 2008;
- Distinguished Judge Award (Jobs for Tennessee Graduates) Career Development Conference – April 2009;
- Service Appreciation Award from Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church – February 2010;
- Trailblazer Award from Pope Elementary School – February 2011; and
- Jo Helen Imani Beard Community Service Award – May 2011.
- King Solomon Missionary Baptist Church Community Service Award - January 2012
Mr. Buchanan loves people and strives to do his best in whatever tasks he undertakes. He is a watchman on behalf of the citizens he represents as a member of the City Council. He believes and exercises the five P’s, three D’s three C’s and three T’s – Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance – Desire, Dedication, and Determination – Conviction, Concern, and Courage – Time, Temperament and Tolerance.