Frequently Asked Questions


How do I find out when my garbage is collected? What about holiday schedules?
Call the Health and Sanitation Department at 731.425.8545 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Voicemail is available for questions or problems after hours. Those calls are returned promptly the next day. Holiday schedules are set by the garbage contractor and city officials and are published in the newspaper. If you have questions about these schedules, you may also call the Health and Sanitation Department.

Are there items that cannot be disposed of in regular garbage?
Yes, building materials and items that are toxic or radioactive or medical waste should not be put in the regular garbage. Also, paint that is not dried in the can, motor oil or any corrosive materials should be kept out of regular garbage. Items that are flammable, corrosive, reactive, or toxic should be kept out of regular garbage. Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days are held annually for the disposal of these kinds of wastes. Additionally, oil-based paint is accepted at 112 Union Street (behind the Farmers’ Market) by appointment only. Call 731-425-8545 to set up an appointment.

How do I report when my garbage is missed?
Call the Health and Sanitation Department before 3:00 p.m. on the day the garbage is missed and Waste Management will pick up that day. If reported after 3:00 p.m., it will be picked up the next day.

How much does a dumpster cost for a business? Does this fee include brush or trash pick-up?
Dumpster fees are set by City Ordinance and are determined by the size and service requirements needed. Trash pick up is not included.

If the garbage can is turned over by animals and the contents are spilled, will the garbage men pick it up?
Waste Management workers will only pick up garbage if they spill it onto the road or curb as they are emptying the can. Garbage that is spilled or scattered before they arrive will not be collected.

Will Waste Management empty garbage cans if they are on a porch or in the garage or carport?
Policy prevents Waste Management from going on the premises of private property such as is mentioned above. Garbage cans may be left at the side of the house in a visible location from the street.


What items can I put out for Brush and Trash collection?
Bagged leaves will be picked up in a more timely fashion than loose leaves, as leaf machines will vacuum on specific routes in each section of the city according to schedule.


Is there a leash law in Jackson?

If dogs are loose in their owner’s yard, is this a violation of the leash law?
No. As long as a dog is under the control of the owner, the leash law is not violated. However, if the dog is off of the property, it must be on a leash.

If a neighbor’s dog barks a lot, can Small Animal Control officers pick the animal up?
No. The police department enforces the noise ordinance and must be contacted prior to service by the Animal Control.

If a citizen has a problem with wild animals in or around his or her home, can Animal Control trap these animals?
No. Small Animal Control picks up only domesticated cats and dogs. Wild animal problems should be referred to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

Is there a limit to the number of animals a citizen may own?
No. There is no ordinance that specifies the number of animals a citizen may own.

What are the hours that Animal Control officers are on call?
Regular working hours for Animal Control officers are 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. However, an officer is on call in case of a vicious dog attack twenty-four hours per day.