Fire Department Application Procedures
Director of Personnel
127 East Main Street, #303
Jackson, TN. 38301
Telephone: (731) 425-8267
Fax Number: (731) 425-8673
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROCESSING PROCEDURE
Beginning Annual Salary – 31,296.26.
Under applicable law and Jackson Fire Department Directives, all successful candidates for Firefighter must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Have a high school Diploma of G. E. D.
- Must have a valid Tennessee Drivers License prior to appointment.
- Be physically fit for firefighting tasks.
- Satisfactorily pass a pre-employment background investigation.
- Meet the City of Jackson’s vision standards of at least 20/30 binocular, and pass a color perception test.
Applicants must satisfactorily complete the following to be considered qualified:
- An Entrance exam.
- An oral interview before an Interview Panel.
- A detailed background examination, which includes a search made of local, state, and national criminal record files, medical, military, and educational records.
After an offer of employment has been made, the applicant must successfully complete:
- A physical examination.
- A drug-screening test.
- A treadmill/stress test.
- A physical ability test.
In order to provide the citizens of the City of Jackson with quality firefighters; we are very thorough in our background investigations. This part of the process can be very time-consuming; and the employment process may take in excess of six weeks depending on the number of applicants to be processed.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Some of the reasons applicants will be rejected for the position of Firefighter are:
- A conviction, entering a plea of guilty, or entering a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to the use of excessive force, theft, dishonesty, gambling, or the unlawful sale or possession of liquor or a controlled substance. Also, multiple repeated misdemeanor offenses may be cause for rejection of an applicant.
- A discharge from employment on two (2) or more occasions within the past five (5) years, or documented evidence of disciplinary action or discharge on three (3) or more occasions.
- Habitual or recent use of narcotics or hallucinogenic substances.
- Habitual or recent use of barbiturate or amphetamines not prescribed by licensed medical practitioners.
- Habitual or recent use of marijuana, cocaine, crack cocaine or any other drug grouping not herein named.
- Refusal to submit to a drug/alcohol test.
- Initial positive drug/alcohol test results confirmed.
- Any discharge less than “Honorable” from any branch of the United States Military Service.
- Six (6) or more current points against the applicant’s operator license prior to appointment.
- Any false or misleading information provided by the applicant at any time during the employment process.
- This list is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the right is reserved at any time to reject an applicant, at any time during the process, who does not meet the standards of the City of Jackson’s Fire Department.
Candidates not selected for employment will be allowed to re-apply for subsequent job announcements.
Any inquiries regarding the employment process should be directed to the Personnel Office at (731) 425-8267 or by mail at 127 E. Main Street, Suite 303, Jackson, TN 38301.
COPIES OF ALL THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
- BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- DRIVER’S LICENSE (SHOWING EXPIRATION DATE)
- SOCIAL SECURITY CARD
- HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR G.E.D.
- DD-214, MILITARY DISCHARGE (IF APPLICABLE) SHOWING TYPE OF DISCHARGE
- RECENT FULL FACE PHOTO (NOT TO BE RETURNED)
Unless these documents are received prior to the set deadline date, you will not be allowed to test.
Print or View the Above Information in PDF
The City of Jackson At Your Service...